Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Happy Birthday Sir Ivan!


Sir Ivan the Clifford of Dante turned 5 years old on December 18th!
Though he's looking more like a cowboy than a knight. Can knights be cowboys and vice versa?
He's wanted a cowboy hat for awhile and Hannah and I found this one at an antique store a few months ago. He looks pretty handsome, if I do say so myself, and I do.
He got a nerf gun from Grandpa Cliff and Grandma Casey and a couple new Thomas the train engines from our friends the Hastings for his wooden tracks. He also got a remote control car from the Pences, though he and daddy haven't tried it out just yet.
He requested a chocolate cake with a red dinosaur, but I didn't have enough red food coloring so he would have ended up with a pink one. I convinced him that green was better and he was happy with the result.
I don't usually bake cakes in my cast iron skillet but while I was mixing up the cake batter the power went out. So because I can still use my propane cooktop while the power is out, I poured the batter into my largest cast iron skillet and cooked it on the stovetop. The bottom got a little tiny bit scorched because I had the heat up too high at the beginning. The power came back on when the cake was almost done so I stuck it in the oven for about 8 minutes. It was actually pretty good.

Sir Ivan is my shyest one, but he can be loud and silly too. He loves his school work and is reading well (and loving it) already.
He's gentle and kind and loves to play with both his sisters.
And he's got a pretty good aim with that nerf gun.

Sometimes he seems so old, he's always been big, but I can't hardly believe my little boy is 5!

No comments: