Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Crusades

So I've done it. Last night I finished all 620-odd pages of Zoe Oldenbourg's "The Crusades". It was a fascinating read and I must say that my mind is still whirling. I think Erik might also be glad that I'm done as he won't be subject to me dialoging on the Crusades at 10pm while he's trying to fall asleep. I found that if I didn't process out loud what I was reading I dreamed about it all night long and let me tell you, the Crusades make for some interesting dreams. I also spent a good part of yesterday, while the kids were watching a movie trying to recover from colds/snotty noses, researching online different things from The Crusades that the author assumed were common knowledge but that I did not know. And then I got caught up in researching Vlad the Impaler. I had researched him some in high school and was curious as to where he fit in in history in relation to what I had just read. He comes later...about 1450-60 during what are also called Crusades but are any war against the enemies of Latin Christianity.
What's next you may ask? Well, this morning I started "Many Infallible Proofs" by Arthur T. Pierson, D.D, written about 1886.
I found this one in the church library too. Church libraries are fascinating things and deserve a post all their own, so someday I may write one...but don't hold your breath.

1 comment:

Mama Griffith, said...

Ive come across some 'interesting' things in the church library that destined themselves to the garbadge can by way of content. Seriously why on earth would you donate books with objectionable content? heh.