Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Window Shopping

Yesterday Erik came home from work and "caught" me with a million tabs open to Pier1, Ikea, Pottery Barn and the like. I was furniture dreaming. Internet window shopping if you will.

Other than our couch our furniture has always been modge-podged together. Random pieces that I try to fix up and reuse, often purchases from Cart'm (our local dump re-store). Some have turned out okay and some are...interesting.

Don't get me wrong, I love doing that. I love re-purposing and reupholstering and reusing and hopefully I'll always do that. But the more kids we have and the more toys we have the more I yearn for a living room that looks pulled together. Where the chairs actually match. Where there's enough seating for gads of people but enough room to walk and play and not feel cramped.

I'm tired of clutter and junk. I want my home to be restful and relaxing, even with toys on the floor. So in this vein I have been window shopping. Dreaming of matching chairs and fabric to re-upholster my couch (I'm really hoping my mom will want to help with that or I may have it professionally done; I know my limitations).

So back to the beginning of this post. Erik caught me.

And I explained simply that I dreamed of matching living room chairs.

He asked if we could get rid of the big overstuffed chair.

And I said yes.

Sorry Jessie, I loved the fabric though.

And then he smiled and said, "I think I would like that," and sat down and looked at the tabs I had open.

He's not one to have much of an opinion when it comes to decorating other than he wants a home he can live in and use. Yesterday when we picked out flooring and counter tops he left most of the decisions to me, no matter how much I asked him what he thought.

So I'm kind of excited.

'Cause I like this sort of thing.

It feeds my inner interior designer.

I've posted a lot about houses and homes the last couple days, guess as much as I feel indifferent about our situation, I'm thrilled with getting to redecorate.

1 comment:

"Everything that we need to lead an overcoming life flows to us from Him" said...

I'm with you! I love to redecorate. I also love to paint walls in unexpected colors. ha ha ha