Thursday, August 25, 2011

Dandelion

A week ago or so when we were up at my parents' house Marilyn was sitting with my dad in the hammock and she called him a dandelion. It was pretty cute and later that night as I was rocking and singing her to sleep I started singing a song I hadn't thought of in a really long time. I couldn't remember all the words so I looked it up the other night. It's the Dandelion song from the musical "Quilters". I performed in it at the Coaster Theatre the summer I was pregnant with Ivan.
The lyrics and music for "Quilters" are by Barbara Damashek but the lyrics to this one are based on a poem by Clara J. Denton called "Blooming in Fall"


Dandelion

Dandelion why so late with your golden crown?
All your comrades long ago laid their splendor down.

Though your face smiles bravely up from the grasses dead,
Watching you my heart forgets the Summer's wealth is fled.

Blessings, blessings little flower for your shining grace,
Doubly welcome that you deck Autumn's furrowed face.

Dandelion, like the dauntless heart you seem beneath Privation's power.,
Smiling bravely though above the threatening tempests lower.

Blessings, blessings sunny flower for your shining grace,
Doubly welcome that you deck Autumn's furrowed face.


Marilyn tries to sing it with me now; "dandelion, golden crown" is about all she can remember but it's sweet to hear.


No comments: