Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Pumpkin Soup


Yum. That's pretty much all there is to say but you guessed it, I'm saying more because, well, I can.
Usually I use pumpkin in things like pumpkin bread, pie or waffles but that just didn't sound thrilling at the moment and I've wanted to try pumpkin soup for awhile. And so much for the "not running to the store all the time" - I was out of carrots and celery.
I'm attempting to cook one meatless dinner a week, we eat a lot of meat. Not that that's a bad thing, it's just really expensive.
The kiddos weren't quite thrilled with the soup but they ate it. Erik on the other hand almost ate himself sick he liked it so much. And paired with sourdough bread straight from the oven...YUM!

Pumpkin Soup Recipe

1 large onion, chopped
6 fresh carrots, grated
3 stalks celery
4 TBSP butter
3-4 cups mashed cooked pumpkin
1 TBSP minced garlic (I used 3 or 4 cloves, pressed; we like garlic)
2 tsp thyme
4 TBSP chopped parsley
2 cups 1/2 n 1/2 (I used 1 cup milk and 1 cup 1/2 n 1/2)
salt and pepper to taste

Saute the onion, carrots and celery in butter until soft
Add the remaining ingredients except the 1/2 n 1/2 and simmer for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
Add the 1/2 n 1/2 and reheat gently, salt and pepper to taste.

We sprinkled Chives on top because my children are obsessed with chives right now.

3 comments:

Mama Griffith, said...

mmmmmmmmmmm....You are such a great cook Em. Not to mention your still trying new things even if the kids dont like it! You GO girl! ps..you would make an amazing eliza doolittle ;)

B said...

So I kind of tried this tonight..... I didn't have all of the ingredients, can't have some of them, and didn't measure so I am not sure how it compares but it was pumpkin soup! ;o) Brian, the girls, and I liked it but my boy was not impressed. Oh well! We will have it again anyhow! :o)

Debbie said...

Yummm!