Monday, May 2, 2011

Nursemaid's Elbow

Last night we took Marilyn to the ER for the very first time. (I'm hoping also the last...) Nothing too terribly serious, but I accidentally pulled her elbow from the socket.
How does that happen you ask?
We were at church eating dinner and she was running from the fellowship hall, I ran after her and grabbed her hand and wrist to pull her back into the room and she was still running in the opposite direction. Apparently the ligaments in the arms of 2-4 year olds are not very strong and sometimes one of the bones in the forearm can be dislocated. It's actually more common than you might think and they have a name for it, it's called Nursemaid's Elbow.
And apparently, this is what my mom did to me when I was little, only at that time the doctor told my mom how to pop it back in over the phone.
The ER Doc that we had laughed and said, "Well we better teach you how to do this so when Marilyn does it to her child someday you can help her pop it back in."
Nana was wonderfully kind to come watch the other kiddos and when we got home last night at about 10...something; my house was clean, the dishes mostly done and laundry folded. THANK YOU NANA!
As soon as Miss Moddy's bones were all in the proper place she was asking for a banana and this morning she's not even convinced that we went to the doctor last night, silly girl.
But she does like her "bracelet" and has been wearing it most of the day.
Oh my.

1 comment:

Mama Griffith, said...

aaaaahhhh! Not fun :( Glad it worked out okay for you all. How is school going??