Monday, March 10, 2008

God the Sovereign Savior

I will love you, O LORD, my strength.
The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer;
My God, my strength, in whom I will trust;
My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
I will call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised;
So shall I be saved from my enemies.
The pangs of death surrounded me,
And the floods of ungodliness made me afraid.
The sorrows of Sheol surrounded me;
The snares of death confronted me.
In my distress I called upon the LORD,
And cried out to my God;
He heard my voice from his temple,
And my cry came before Him, even to His ears.

Then the earth shook and trembled;
The foundations of the hills also quaked and were shaken,
Because He was angry.
Smoke went up from His nostrils,
And devouring fire from His mouth;
Coals were kindled by it.
He bowed the heavens also, and came down
With darkness under His feet.
And He rode upon a cherub, and flew;
He flew upon the wings of the wind.
He made the darkness His secret place;
His canopy around Him was dark waters
And thick clouds of the skies.
From the brightness before Him,
His thick clouds passed with hailstones and coals of fire.

The Lord thundered from heaven,
And the Most High uttered His voice,
Hailstones and coals of fire.
He sent out His arrows and scattered the foe,
Lightnings in abundance, and He vanquished them.
Then the channels of the sea were seen,
The foundations of the world were uncovered
At your rebuke, O LORD,
At the blast of the breath from your nostrils.
He sent from above, He took me;
He drew me out of many waters.
He delivered me from my strong enemy,
From those who hated me,
For they were too strong for me.
They confronted me in the day of my calamity,
But the LORD was my support.
He also brought me out into a broad place;
He delivered me because He delighted in me.

Psalm 18:1-19
(emphasis mine)

I love this Psalm. It paints an amazing picture of our mighty, warrior God. I love the feeling of strength surrounding me as I just read these words and then it says "He delivered me because He delighted in me. "
This amazing, powerful God that rescues me; he loves me, he delights in me. Wow.
I've read this Psalm a few times in the last couple days and today I read it in Erik's study Bible. There was this note at the bottom:
"18:7-9 the earth shook...He bowed the heavens: Underlying these poetic words is the understanding that the Almighty will turn the universe inside out, if necessary, to deliver His servant."
God comes in power, He shakes the earth, turns it inside out, He vanquishes the enemy with just a blast of breath, He delivers and brings you out to a broad place (or a spacious place) and He delights in you. I have no more words, I'm just awed.

3 comments:

Macaroo42 said...

Awesome, Em. Love that study Bible note. What a word! I love this Psalm too. It reminds me Who I'm actually dealing with. Kind of scary, thankfully. Today in my Beth Moore study she was talking about the other side of this coin: God can be impressed by us. What impresses Him when we do it? Faith and obedience. (See Luke 7:1-10.) The idea of God being not only delighted by us, but also amazed is.... staggering.

Mama Griffith, said...

I guess it depends on your definition of impressed by us.

Mama Griffith, said...

I know he delights in us as his creation, but perhaps I am thinking of a different impressed, let me know the scripture,...you have my curiosity going... :)