Monday, April 7, 2008

Gluten-Free and Loving it?

I'm discovering that life is not so bad gluten-free. It's not much fun gluten and dairy free but gluten free is not the hell I previously thought it was. I've started adding a little bit of butter back in my diet and Clayton seems to be doing okay with that so baking has gotten easier. Today I attempted to make almond butter cookies (kind of like peanut butter cookies only with almonds) and they didn't turn out that bad. But oh, for dinner I made rosemary/thyme dinner rolls with buckwheat and montina flour...they were amazing and yet gluten-free. Now I'm just praying that Clayton doesn't react to them. Montina flour is made of white rice flour, tapioca flour and flour made out of Indian rice grass. That's the part that makes me nervous. If Clayton is allergic to grass (like I think he is because of last Wednesday) then will he be allergic to the Indian rice grass? Guess we'll find out. Indian rice grass is apparently what the Indians used for hundreds of years but this wonderful grass (and it's not related to rice) was lost to civilization for a long time until research by Montana State University found it again and discovered that not only was it drought resistant (makes for easier growing), it was also gluten-free. Fancy that.
Erik mentioned the other day that he would actually like to try going gluten-free for awhile to see if anything happens health-wise. I also read today that gluten intolerance is higher in Caucasians descended from Northern Europeans. I'm fascinated by everything that I'm finding out but still not convinced that I'll ever get over wheat. I just hope that I don't have to give up oats. My goal is to try and reintroduce oatmeal into my diet by Wednesday or Thursday depending on how Clayton is doing. I really hope that I can, the kiddos had oatmeal this morning and I took one tiny little nibble and it tasted so good. One small step at a time.

1 comment:

Macaroo42 said...

I am so proud of you. Have I told you that recently? You amaze me.