Monday, July 19, 2010

Blueberries

Okay, I fail as a wanna-be photographer.

We took a trip into Banks, OR yesterday to meet Erik's mom and pick up his air-nail gun that he left at their house. I painted all the floor trim for our house (that we've had forever) only to discover that Erik couldn't do his part and attach it to the wall were it belongs because he didn't have his air gun.

Not wanting to just make a trip for that we decided to go pick blueberries at Gordon's Acres farm that my neighbor told me about. Thinking that it might be a good photo-op of the kids I grabbed my camera and brought it along.

This is where I fail. Maybe if I had completely forgotten to bring my camera it wouldn't be so bad but I did bring it and then utterly failed to use it. And oh my, was that a missed opportunity. The kids were semi-color coordinated in reds and pinks that would have made a nice contrast to the green and blue of the blueberry bushes and the sun was glorious but not too bright. The farm was situated atop a hill with rows of blueberries and raspberries stretching out before you. On top of that the kids were really well behaved and picked a lot of blueberries. They were so excited about filling their special buckets full of blueberries that they just kept on picking without complaining. Erik got tired of picking blueberries before they did! Marilyn also picked blueberries but they did not end up in her little red bucket. She ate the blue ones and if she happened to pick a green one she put that in her bucket because it didn't taste good. Then she would pick those out and throw them on the ground before heading off down the rows to explore and visit other blueberry pickers in hopes of "gleaning" from their buckets that they unwittingly placed on the ground in easy reach of little fingers.
We left the farm with about 25 pounds of blueberries and 5 pounds of raspberries.
And I am proud to say that the raspberries have all been turned into jam and the blueberries are washed and residing in pre-measured portions in ziplock bags in the freezer.

Oh well, maybe next time I'll remember to take pictures.

1 comment:

S. Hastings said...

That is all right. I have had our little camera many times and completely forgotten to take photos too. Its not like we don't have enough to think about right?