Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Adventures in Schooling

I was looking back over my recent blogs and suddenly shouted out loud at my computer (inciting strange looks from my children), "How did I miss blogging about that one!"
HANNAH IS READING. We've been working on our short vowel sounds and last week we blended some sounds together and wah-la! a word read entirely by Miss Hannah. Then another and another. Hannah is getting better and better and faster and faster everyday and really liking it. Ivan is attempting and can do it if he decides he can but most mornings he decides it's too hard and gives up. I'm not pushing him though, he's 4, and I'm just letting him work as he wants. I want learning to be fun for him. He does really enjoy Starfall.com and has been playing on there reviewing his letters and sounds. We've also been playing around with learning the Alphabet in sign language. Clayton is even trying to join in the fun and sing the phonics alphabet song though it usually ends up as "A, a, apple, b, b, ball, a, a, monkey, a, a, noodles, b, b, cat". I'm quite impressed though, he can almost count to 10.
I'm finding schooling more enjoyable every day (well, everyday that we do it). We still take a few days off every now and again but usually the kids are asking to do schoolwork, my only rule is that I get a few minutes to myself in the morning to check e-mail, facebook, blogs and drink my coffee. Some mornings I drink it slower than others and this morning it is now gone so I must get to work.

3 comments:

Candice Parisi said...

Yay!! Hannah face is reading. That's so exciting. Dom and I want to home-school our kids too. At least until Jr. High I think but I will be the teacher, obviously, and that makes me so nervous. I will be solely responsible for shaping my kid's minds.....ekk!!! I solute you for doing such a good job. :)

Macaroo42 said...

Does this mean I can send Hannah letters when I send her mother letters? (Yes, this will happen. ☺)



w.v. fiestra. Spanish I think. ☺

Mindy said...

YEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!! You can tell that personally to her, if you like since its hard to convey such excitement as I feel through a blog comment. But I'm so freaking excited. Worlds have opened. New friends are waiting for her to discover! Oh the joys to have the newness of these things beckoning! I guess this may sound a little melodramatic, but as the great Korean pop band 2NE1 once sang (and continues to sing from every blasting shop speaker) "I don't care-are-are-are-are-are". Yes, I live in Korea.