Monday, March 8, 2010

Skirts

When I was little I wanted to be Laura Ingalls, right down to the skirts and bonnets she hated most. I remember wearing a lot of skirts in 6th grade, and not only skirts but layers of skirts. A little later in middle school I even made my own hoop skirts out of wire coat hangers and wore them under a full jean skirt to church. I also borrowed some of my mom's dresses from college and wore them with aprons when I felt like learning to bake. I love the feel of skirts around my knees and ankles, I like the swish, the movement of air, the freedom of movement. Somewhere along the way though I lost the love of skirts and I think it was due to the overwhelming desire to fit in and be popular; for awhile it trumped the desire to be myself and wear what I love and little house on the prairie skirts just weren't popular in the 90's in my middle/high school. I've grown up a little since then and now that I have a daughter of my own who wears nothing but skirts I feel that old tugging to layer on the skirts. My mother laughed at me the other day when I told her my goal in life was to wear more skirts and aprons. I understand, it sounds kind of odd. It's not THE goal of my life but in general I would like to wear skirts and aprons more. Every time I see a picture of a lady wearing a skirt and apron and rubber boots heading out to her garden in a magazine I pause and think, "Oh, I like that, I could do that." And with my new found love of hanging clothes on the line to dry it seems a little more practical; cotton skirts dry faster than jeans.

3 comments:

Mama Griffith, said...

makes sence to me, especially the hannah part

B said...

I'm totally with you on this one. I LOVE skirts!!! If I could wear whatever I really liked, without thinking about the opinion of others, I think my style choices might surprise a few people. :o)
Then again, it might not. :oP As I am unbearably self conscious I don't think we will ever find out! LOL!

Macaroo42 said...

Beci, GO FOR IT! Em, somehow, I am not in the least surprised.




w.v. kadyng