Friday, March 19, 2010

All the Fullness of God

Often I find myself forgetting just how big the God of the Bible is and I relegate him to an understandable size of "God is big, huge, big huge, God is big, huge....he's bigger than suburbans or those new ford excursions" Knowdaverbs . Sometimes this is all I can handle at the moment but often in doing so I elevate myself and my agendas to improper heights of importance. When I get my thinking rightly focused on God the cares of this world and the fears of this world no longer hold sway over my life. Often times my thinking must be adjusted frequently throughout the day.
Lately I've been reading The Confessions of St. Augustine and I only got a few pages in before my brain wanted to explode. For St. Augustine has this to say:
"Where can I go beyond heaven and earth, so that there you may come to me, my God, who have said, 'I fill heaven and earth?' (Jeremiah 23:24)
Do heaven and hell therefore contain you, since you fill them? Or do you fill them, and does there yet remain something further, since they do not contain you? Where then do you diffuse what remains of you after heaven and hell have been filled? Or do you who contain all things have no need to be contained by anything further, since you fill all the things you fill by containing them? The vessels that are filled by you do not restrict you, for even if they are shattered, you are not poured forth. When you are poured upon us, you are not cast down, but you raise us up; you are not scattered about but you gather us up. You fill all things, and you fill them all with your entire self. But since all things cannot contain you in your entirety, do they then contain a part of you, and do all things simultaneously contain the same part? Or do single things contain single parts, greater things containing greater parts and smaller things smaller parts? Is one part of you greater, therefore, and another smaller? Or are you entire in all places, and does no one thing contain you in your entirety?"
The Confessions of St. Augustine
Book 1, chapt. 2-3


This Great God who contains everything and fills everything fills us!
I was reading a devotion put out by The Institute for Creation Research this morning and the verses today were from Ephesians 3:
Ephesians 3:16-19 (emphasis mine)
"I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge - that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God."
And I'm put in my place (gratefully, willingly and humbly) knowing my worth comes from the love of God, this great and mighty God who created me and fills me with himself when I trust in him.
"But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions - it is by grace you have been saved....For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast." Eph. 2: 4-5, 8-9

For God is big! Huge! He loves us and He fills us with himself!
Somehow that pile of laundry, the sink full of dishes and any fears of the future can't darken my skies today.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Awesome, Em. I want to learn more of that, too.

B said...

Wow! Thanks for sharing!!!