Thursday, March 25, 2010

Commentaries and Literary Discussions

Random:
Last night Miss Moddy came into the kitchen and climbed on a chair so she could watch me make dinner; when I noticed the purse I had to take a picture:
Commentary:
Clayton loves to watch movies and for awhile one of his favorites was "Narnia" but it's been a little bit since the last time we watched it so I was surprised when he pulled it off the shelf yesterday. I sat down on the couch to watch the rest of it with the kiddos after our walk last night and laughed at inappropriate times due to Clayton's commentary:
When Aslan died, "He died!? This is stupid one, I don't like this movie."
When he came back to life, "He didn't die?! Wow, I like this one."
During the battle, "Bang! Crash! Boom! They fighting."

Literary Discussions:
I've been reading the Little House on the Prairie series with Hannah and we've just started "By the Shores of Silver Lake". It's been awhile since we've read a book without many pictures which I think causes her brain to react more to what she is hearing causing many questions related to words. This is good except that it sometimes requires me to be a walking dictionary or sends the conversation in interesting directions. We had just started the book when this conversation occurred:
Me (reading): "..and Baby Grace...."
Hannah: "Grace, what's Grace?"
Me: "Not what, who, Grace is a baby."
Hannah: "But Grace sounds like it has to do with God, it's not a name."
Me: "Sometimes people use it as a name, God shows us grace but it is not necessarily one of his names."
Hannah: "But what is grace?"
Me: "Grace is getting something you don't deserve."
Hannah: "What's deserve?"
Me: "It would be like if I went in the kitchen and put a bead in your chore jar right now without you having done anything to earn it..."
Hannah: "That's deserve?"
Me: "Well it would be grace."
Hannah: "But I thought we were talking about deserve."
Me: "Um...yes, if you earn a bead for your bead jar, you deserve it...if I give you one without you earning it, that would be grace."
Hannah: "Oh, but I think Grace needs to be a boy name because God is a boy."
Me: "I don't know that I've ever heard of a boy named Grace, can I continue reading now?"
Hannah: "Yeah, but I still think grace has to do with God."

Yes Hannah, it does. Please remember that always.

Ephesians 2:8-9
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this not of yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast.

3 comments:

Debbie said...

Love, love, love it. I just read this aloud to the family - plus some friends - and we all were delighted. The perspective of children is so often priceless. Thanks for sharing!

B said...

This is a perfect example of why it is so great to be a SAHM/homeschool mom! You get to answer all those questions instead of leaving it to someone who might be teaching things you wouldn't want. And I LOVE "seeing" how their little minds work. AMAZING! isn't it? I think it's great that she knows Grace is associated with God. Good job Mama!!!

The Cloth Addict said...

Okay, so I have to say it, Hannah's discussion with you brought tears to my eyes. What an intuitive little girl you have.

Moddy with her little purse is just too adorable for words, and I love Clayton's commentary to Narnia!